What are the consequences of getting a Second DUI conviction in NJ?
A second DUI conviction has severe penalties.
If convicted of a previous DWI, New Jersey’s courts will sentence you to:
- Between 2 and 90 days in jail
- Loss of your driving privileges in the State for a minimum of 2 years
- Payment fines between $500 and $1,000
- Compulsory detainment in an Intoxicated Driver Resource Center (IDRC) for 48 hours
- Perform 30 days (180 hours) of community service
- Use an ignition interlock devicefor one to three years after your license has been restored
You will have to pay costly surcharges:
- $3,000, payable at $1,000 every year for three years to the State
- Minimum of $3,000 surcharge from your insurance company
- $75 payable to the Safe Neighborhood Services Fund
- $100 payable to the Alcohol Education and Rehabilitation Fund
- $100 to the Drunk Driving Enforcement Fund
- Up to $280 payable to the IDRC
Am I facing jail time for a Second DUI conviction?
- For a second DUI conviction in New Jersey, there is a mandatory jail term of at least 48 hours (2 days).
- The court may decide to let you serve your jail sentence at an Intoxicated Driver’s Resource Center (IDRC).
- At an IDRC, you will be given a treatment plan of which your compliance will be monitored by the IDRC personnel.
- You will be screened and evaluated for drug & alcohol addiction.
- You will also be enrolled in a program that educates you about the effects of drugs & alcohol as it relates to highway safety.
Remember, all of these programs are intended to ensure that your second DUI will be your last.
I got my first DUI ten years ago. Does this help my case?
For a second DUI conviction in New Jersey, there is what’s known as a “step down” provision.
What this means is that if your second DUI conviction occurred more than ten years after your first DUI conviction, the court will be required to sentence you as if it is your first DUI offense
Is there any hope for me if I’m suspected of a Second DUI?
The best defense starts with thorough preparation.
Give us a call today so that we can start preparing your defense.
Our rates are very affordable, and we are committed to getting you the best legal representation possible. Above all, we want to make certain that you are treated fairly.
Do I really need a Lawyer for a Second DUI?
The legal system is very complex. It is best that you hire an attorney to guide you through the legal process.
A good way to think about it is like this:
If you had a cavity, would you rather yank your own tooth out, or would it be best to visit a dentist?
The point is that if you’re facing legal challenges, go to the experts!
At our firm, we charge affordable rates and fight for every client. Check out our reviews
We perform extensive investigation and legal research to give you the best defense possible.
If you’re facing a second DUI conviction, don’t face the system alone. Fight to keep your job & your record clean.